Wednesday, December 2, 2009

whats core and whats not!

One of the things I learnt in marketing is to clarify the purpose behind any activity or initiative we chose to do. This is true for me with business and life in general. Sometimes it gets clouded and I lose perspective but it helps to ask every now and then as to what my true purpose is and what I am meant to do in this planet.
I did that this morning as I am giving serious thought to how I want to do business in the next ten years of my life. To me my work and business life are an expression of me...it has to reflect my true essence. I have wasted too much time in the past trying to "fit in". (I dont even know why I bothered because I never did anyway!)

I did this by playing down my feelings and thoughts on how things needed to be, kept it buried, bypassed it and compartmentalised my life so that work remained seperate from some of the core beliefs i have about life ...although, as i got older i let more of this slip in.

To the people I work with, they think I am 'way out there' in terms of ideas...right in "space cadet" territory ...they like my ideas but they dont believe that it is practical in the real "dog eat dog" business world.

What I ask for is not that far out, just requires a slight shift in perspective.
I believe that as business leaders we need to make decisions from our true essence or core. To consider the impact we have on other peoples' lives and to be conscious about what we do. To not make it all about ourselves, to let go sometimes ..that its not always about winning and getting ahead of someone else. Not everybody is trying to manipulate or cheat. There are a few out there but because of our fear and need to protect ourselves we build rules and play stupid games designed around these few but affect the majority. How stupid is that!!

Back to clarity on my purpose, I only want to work on business with a heart, with people who are keen to make that change or impact the way we do business and still make alot of money. It is a longer term ride but its worth it. Anyone who cant see that, is not suited for my business model and way of life. This is just my manifesto and it helps me get to what's important whenever I am evaluating a business proposition.
Feels good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment