Wednesday, March 11, 2009

mirror ..mirror...

My sister and i watched a movie on TV when we were young and it was a story about a little boy who set out to prove himself and did it. Whenever, he had to do something difficult, he had this voice inside his head that said " You can do it Duffy Moon" From then on, if ever, I was struggling with something, my sister would send me a message or card that would say " You can do it Duffy Moon" and it makes me laugh but it helps to remind me of the movie and its a kind of anchor for me to remind me that someone else believes in me and that keeps me focused on what i want to achieve.

My dad was very interested in palmistry and he would always want to read our palms when we were young and he always said the same thing to me "you can be anything you want to be, even the Prime Minister or President because your palm shows that you are very clever, you will succeed in anything you do as long as you set your mind to it."

What an affirmation for a child to have.... And I have done some pretty amazing things and always at the back of my mind, I can hear his words. Can i do more ? sure! can I do anything i set my mind to ... sure! I remember one time in school I had a grade that put me in 2nd place in my class, I brought home my report card and he asked me why I didn't top the class, I remember saying to him that the person who topped the class was so clever and he asked me , does she has two eyes ...yes... two ears...yes... one nose ...yes .... a brain...yes ... whats different between you and her? He said that she wasn't smarter, I could do it if I wanted to.

Having someone believe in another person is so important because it spurs them along.It gives them that last ounce of energy to cross the finishing line, it did for me. Its also important to me because it represents something else, its about believing in humanity. I feel that every time we see potential in another being, we look beyond them to see what they can be. When we do this we don't just do it for that one single person, we do it for all humanity. If it is true that what we see in others is what they become esp. if they believe that of themselves , then we have alot of work ahead of us to clean up what we have created around us. As parents or business leaders we hold the power to shape other people's future and life at large. We can reaffirm the goodness in others and look for that in our day to day lives. How does it hurt us anyway to see someone's potential and to tell them that? Imagine if we had teachers in school who saw our potential, where would we be today? We always remember that one teacher who saw potential in us and made time to tell us that, I do.

We are quick to criticise another and spot what does not work. Sometimes this is useful as it helps someone see their blind spot. But what about helping someone see their "blindspot" as far as their potential is concerned? What if we make a choice today to see what works in the people we meet today and make it a point to tell them? When you want to light up a dark space even a small light/flame will do as it will illuminate that space. Similarly, if we look for what works and make it a point to mark it out and encourage it, we have the potential to propagate that and like a boomerang it comes back at us and helps us get to our own potential... neat huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment