Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Electric Dog...

Have you ever noticed that, there are times when you do something and everything just clicks in place and then there are other times when you put so much energy into it and it just fails miserably?

I think there are three parts to anything we want to do - body , mind and spirit. First there is the doing and we need our physical form or body to help us do that, then there is the believing - knowing that you can do it (mind) and the third part is the 'being' - enjoying the moment and involving your spirit in the whole process. This brings us into alignment with whatever it is that we are working on.

I understand this on an intellectual and emotional level but sometimes I forget to involve my whole being and instead I make it into a physical or a mind exercise without involving my spirit, These are times when I 'fail'. But do i really fail or is it a way to connect to my spirit? notice what happens when we fail, we get pissed off and then we start getting philosophical and turning it to a higher power, our spirit or something bigger than us. Maybe we are "wired" that way .....that whenever we go out of alignment with any one of these three parts of ourselves, we need to go back and find our spirit or our higher self?

When I was 16 years old , I decided that i wanted to take art as a subject in my final exams. I had to see my school principal to convince her that i could do it as it was not normal to change subjects at the last minute. My principal told to me that people study art for many years and still did not pass, she wanted to know ,what made me confident that I could do it. At that time when I gave her my reply, I had no idea what art was and if only she had looked at my art grades or talked to any of my art teachers, she wouldn't have agreed. But she did and I started out setting myself a challenge to learn art and excel at it. I remember asking someone to teach me. So i had two parts of me engaged - the doing part- because I was learning the actual process of painting and my mind because I believed I could do it. Pretty soon, I started enjoying the process, at this point I moved from 'doing' to 'being'. I have never looked back since then... everything started falling in place. Its like being the the 'zone' -when you exercise you get into a rhythm where you become complete, you lose track of time and you sometimes don't even feel your body anymore. Ever had that? Many athletes speak about this. Some people say that its because the endorphins kick in. Whatever the reason, when you are in the 'zone' - you almost float!

I think the secret to succeeding at what we do, lies in alignment. Alignment to self, alignment to one's purpose and alignment to a higher purpose or something bigger than the individual.

For eg. if I wanted to start a business, it needs to tie in with my values and not only serve me but also serve the higher good of others around me.

This is easy to see to from a business context , just like the 'x' factor in people, some businesses are thrive in any market condition, they have the 'x' factor. A close look at them will clearly show this type alignment at a company level. These are business that serve the individuals in it, the company/ its goals and community at large. They make room to allow people to be individuals and yet they are able to harness their individuality to build teams who then make up the company which then serves community. Representing the mind are the people within the company, the body is represented by the company itself which gives it form and structure and the spirit is represented by the purpose of the company. This can be sliced and diced in so many ways but it all leads back to alignment.

When people , businesses and community are in alignment , we achieve great success.


Business Leaders need to be aware of this and live it. Their very presence needs to inspiring so that other people aspire to be like them. This can only happen if they are alignment. When someone is aligned to their purpose, they act like a magnet that just draws everything that supports their purpose to them. It takes a bit of effort-I know that I tend to go off on my 'adventures' , get distracted and sometimes disenchanted. These are times when I need to stop and go within and find my core again. When I do, I emerge strong and solidly grounded to what I am here to do. Suddenly all problems fall to the way side and obstacles that seemed big become minor distractions. I become a powerful being ready to face the world again.

No comments:

Post a Comment