Thursday, March 12, 2009

Being a STAR!

The toughest part of any manager's job is managing people, it can also be the most rewarding. Today was not one of those days where it was rewarding. It was about about pushing and pulling and helping the people I manage see that there is more to life than instant gratification. Its all about perspectives and how people get stuck in one view point, or get manipulated by others around them to believe that they are " the next best thing to sliced bread!"

The discussion stems around " I deserve more" " my package needs to be better" " I am better than ...." These people forget that there is a whole army around them that helped them succeed. When the "I " is bigger than the "we" its a problem because the very word company to me means more than one ( unless of course if you like your own company !) More than one also means doing what's right for the group versus the individual.

We see this behaviour in families, in social groups, in the work place and in schools. Its partly due the fault of the others around them who helped create this "Me Monster" and partly due to the limited view point of the individual who is vying for special treatment.

Every now and then, its good to take stock:

1. Who brought me here to where I am / saw my potential?
2. Who do I have to thank for this?
3. Have i shown any gratitude to this person? Is it enough? How would i thank this person if the situation was reversed?
4. Have i made this person proud of me/have i given this person any reason to regret giving me the opportunity he /she gave me?
5. Am I hogging all the 'limelight'?

An important lesson I learnt very early in life is to never forget where I came from no matter how successful I became. This I feel is very grounding and gives me a sense of perspective. It is also very humbling...to know how life has rewarded me in such an unbelievable and magical way.
Knowing where we come from gives us roots that hold us steady while we soar high into our potential. This gives us a sense of self and serves as a reality check. Its a journey, and as with any journey there is starting point and an ending point but it's what we do in the middle that really sets us apart and makes the journey memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment