Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Space Dog...

Games people play at work...its really quite an eye opener. Sometimes you think you know someone and yet they turn out to be totally different. What really gets to me is the extent to which some people go to build their profile and careers. Loyalties and history are forgotten and they get so caught up in the game that they also forget about personal integrity.
We have all met these 'slimy' characters who sway where there is power and shift their game with total disregard to the people they affect. The bigger question is how do we deal with them.

Most often I walk around the corporate world with the notion that " if you give people enough rope,they can do what they want with it including hanging themselves because of their own ignorance" Somehow or the other , in my world, it doesn't pay to play "scarcity conscious " games where one needs to stab someone else in the back in order to move ahead. It stems from "fear based" thinking and from a belief that there is not enough to go around or lack. I prefer to focus my mind on abundance and that there is more than enough opportunity for anyone with skill and who puts in the hard work. You see ... the people who run around playing these games are insecure in some ways and aren't really skilled or confident of their skills...this is why they have to resort to under-handed ways. The sad part is ...many people in the work place accept this as norm and compromise their own standards and put up with it.

Sometimes Karma takes time and maybe this is why ...because we are not around long enough to see how those who play these games reap the fruit of their labour.

I have seen my own behaviour change under stress and when I feel I am caught in a web of politics, I either lash out or I withdraw. Sometimes I get sucked into the game where I am no better than the back stabbers because I am in a position where I have to defend myself...and in the process I am doing the same. And sometimes you can get so close to it that its hard to see what is happening. But the signs are there.. and its different for everyone, for me its sleepless nights, unhealthy lifestyle and health issues. I think the best thing I did for myself is to take a 10 day break to do a detox, even though it was physical , it had a tremendous effect on my mind but most of all , it allowed me to step back from the situation and look at it from the outside.

In some ways , it is very funny , especially if you look at everything like if you were a martian from outer space. Speaking of outer space, whenever my kids have had a bad day with someone, I usually ask them to put the person they are having trouble with in a space ship and to send them into outer space. These days I just say "they can spin in outer space" because people who operate without integrity don't belong in my world. Sometimes it is something as subtle as this to cause a shift for me. On an energetic level, I am not holding on to that negative energy, I have released it by floating it out on my sphere.

Some people call it the sphere of control - what is within our sphere of control and what is not...,there is no point fretting over other people's behaviour especially if its not in our sphere of control. Instead we are better off letting go of that energy, because it releases us to be more creative and we don't hurt ourselves emotionally or physically because any resentment we hold on to has a way of manifesting itself as a physical ailment. I tend to forgive people very easily and let go ... I often get asked how I can do that... I cant afford not to do that because i know that the only person who gets hurt is the person holding on to the resentment or injustice.

Nature has a way of creating checks and balances , sometimes it takes time but it always comes around and we don't have to wait, to see if it does because each person is on their own individual journey. All we have to do is mind our own journey and make sure that we keep coming back to balance whenever we go off track. Its easier said than done but isn't that our job as human beings to be better people during the time we have on this planet.

Here's to living to the best of our ability... there is a saying " If I change, my world changes" ...all we have to worry is about ourselves... and not about anyone else. And if we do a good enough job of it , we end up with a better planet. Space Cadet...maybe ... but hey..its worth a shot...its much better than whining constantly about others!!


1 comment: