Saturday, April 25, 2009

Dancing Dog!!

Last night , I had some friends over for dinner as we were celebrating my brother-in-law's birthday. I had to take a call and I left the room for a while and when I returned a number of my guests were dancing but there was no music playing. I asked them why there was no music and they continued dancing and one of them said , "of course there is music! " ....they were all dancing to music inside their heads. They were laughing so much and they asked me to join them..it was so funny dancing to no music.
We danced alot last night to music and no music, we also laughed till our sides heart. My son danced with me - with everyone cheering him on because he was reluctant to dance at first. The two young ones - a teenager ( my daughter ) and my friends daughter in her early twenties were making fun of our dancing...that our dance steps were too "old" and we asked them to teach us more "cool" steps and of course they laughed at me when i tried to dance like them.

This afternoon, I met some people from the party again and while we were chatting outside our cars , one of them decided to play some music and he turned it up loud and started dancing on the road outside the car, he asked me to join him and i did...until my son dragged me away ..saying " come on mum stop dancing , you are embarrassing us"

This evening, I was in a shopping centre , looking at computers and they were playing a Korean Music video, a song I had sung with my team in Korea ... of course I stopped and sang the chorus , which was in English and ...maybe ...I danced just a little ... my daughter drags me away this time and says " stop doing that ... you are embarrassing me"

I laughed ... then i thought about it while driving home with her. I think I was the same when I was young. My grandma using to talk loudly to all her friends at the market and whenever i went with her , I would stand far away from her so that no one saw me.. I was embarrassed.

Something happens as you get older, you become less inhibited and less concerned about what others think... at least that's the way it is for me. Maybe its because, we have done so many things to embarrass ourselves that we just don't care anymore...maybe its because we feel a sense of urgency to live life fully as we get older.... its hard to tell.

I do remember those years when i was more self conscious and I actually feel relieved that I am not in that phase anymore... because its very freeing to be in the moment to enjoy every opportunity to be spontaneous.

Dancing to no music, dancing on the street, dancing and singing to music in a shopping centre ... why not... just clean fun and its quite special. One of the salesmen in the store, realising that I liked the Korean song, decided to download the music on a thumb drive for me... neat ? ... I think so!!

1 comment:

  1. I do dance to the music in shopping centre too and I think it's fun. Yes, I do agree with you that as we grow other, we become less inhibited and less concerned about what others think. :) I hope I can raise my daughter to feel free to dance if she wants and not be embarrassed by it nor become bound by what society think is normal.

    ReplyDelete